Friday 16 December 2016

Anna-Marie McLemore's favourite things

Anna-Marie McLemore is the author of my favourite book from this year, so I couldn't be more excited to share her favourite books, movies and characters!



'When the moon was ours' is my book of the year for so many reasons. It's not only the most beautifully written and plotted magical realism story that I've ever read. It also has incredible characters and explores identity in a moving, beautiful way that is rooted in Anna-Marie's own experiences. You can read my entire five star review here


Now for the main event - welcome to YA Under My Skin Anna-Marie!





Favourite YA book/s

WRITTEN IN THE STARS by Aisha Saeed 

Aisha’s language is precise and evocative, and she has a gorgeous way of depicting characters’ relationships with their families and family histories.

THE NAMES THEY GAVE US by Emery Lord

Look out for this one, both a family story and a camp story, in spring 2017. It’s also a brilliant, honest portrayal of faith.

NONE OF THE ABOVE

This one meant so much to me, I wrote a whole post about it for Jen at Pop! Goes the Reader: http://www.popgoesthereader.com/raise-your-voice/raise-your-voice-2016-with-anna-marie-mclemore/

IF YOU COULD BE MINE by Sara Farizan

In addition to being a study in how to write a book that’s short and spare but also rich and detailed, this book spoke to my heart as a queer WOC.


Favourite adult books

PASSING by Nella Larsen

If you haven’t read it and need more convincing to read it, consider that it’s also author Dhonielle Clayton’s favorite book!

LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE by Laura Esquivel

A sister story, a love story, and a story of the Mexican culture I’m proud to come from, this was one of the first books I ever saw myself in.

THE LITTLE PRINCE

There’s new magic in this book every time I read it. The first time I stumbled through it in French class, and I keep coming back to it. I want to learn new languages just so I can read it again with a new perspective.



Favourite movies (of all time and now)

All time: A THOUSAND CLOWNS

Cecilia Cackley of Hooray for Books! also loves this film, so much that we periodically have Twitter quote wars.

Now: THE ILLUSIONIST

I know I’m using the term “now” *really* loosely since it’s ten years old, but considering most of my best-loved movies are classics, I’m hoping this magical story counts! 


Favourite TV shows (of all time and now)

All time: This is more a category than a single show, but some of my best growing-up memories were watching American soap operas and the occasional favorite telenovela with my mother.

Right now: UnReal, though I’ve only seen Season 1 and I hear worrying things about Season 2?


Favourite song/ band

Oh, this changes constantly. But right now I’ve been listening to Gregory Alan Isakov a lot. “Idaho” often ends up on repeat.


Favourite characters from YA books

Emerson Birch from Saundra Mitchell’s THE SPRINGSWEET

Emerson is my YA book boyfriend. *swoons*

Kamala from THE STAR-TOUCHED QUEEN

She may be a horse, but she immediately came to mind: “‘It is nice to be nice,’ Kamala said with a sage nod. ‘It is also nice to eat people.’”


Favourite character/s from adult books

The Lisbon sisters from THE VIRGIN SUICIDES

As a girl with many brothers, I’m enthralled by sister stories. The subtle relationships we see among the Lisbons always pulls me into their world. 


Favourite characters from books that you read as a YA

The de la Garza sisters from the above-mentioned LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE

Their relationships are messy and complicated, sometimes loyal and sometimes full of betrayal. Even though I don’t have sisters, these women grabbed me by the heart.

Daisy Buchanan from THE GREAT GATSBY

Oh Daisy Buchanan. The glamorous white girl fifteen-year-old me so badly wanted to be…


Thanks so much for sharing your favourite things with us and growing to be read piles everywhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment