Thursday 28 June 2018

Are we all lemmings and snowflakes? by Holly Bourne


Publisher: Usborne (9th August 2018)

Welcome to Camp Reset, a summer camp with a difference.

A place offering a shot at 'normality' for Olive, a girl on the edge, and for her new friends, who are all dealing with their own battles.

But as Olive settles in, she starts to wonder - maybe it's this messed up world that needs fixing, and not them. And so she comes up with a plan. Because together, snowflakes can form avalanches...


I've devoured every book written by Holly Bourne, so I expected to like this book. I didn't expect to end up loving it even more than the Spinster Club series. 

One of the reasons I enjoyed it so much is because of Olive. She's an absolutely brilliant main character because she felt so real to me. She's complicated and multifaceted with a great sense of humour. The large cast of characters is great too, as each of them is distinguishable and offers something different to the story. 

I also found the premise and setting of this book really original. It was the perfect backdrop for exploring mental health and as always Holly Bourne does this sensitively and realistically, with plenty of room for hope as well.  

My absolute favourite thing about this book is the positive message that came through it, at the same time as acknowledging that dealing with mental health and life in general can be really hard! Ultimately, the message that 'Kindness is contagious' left me feeling hopeful and empowered, which I think are just about the best things a book can do. 

This is a thought-provoking, gripping book with a powerful message and a strong voice. Holly Bourne has become one of my favourite contemporary authors. If you haven't read her other books yet, you have plenty of time before this comes out in August!





Thank you so much to Usborne for the proof copy  it was one of my most anticipated books of the year and lived up to all of my expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment