Saturday 22 December 2018

My Year in Books

This has been an amazing year for books. I've been to lots of events, met some lovely people and read so many good books. Some highlights for me have included the launches for Only Love Can Break Your Heart, Hero at the Fall and A Sky Painted Gold, and I always have an amazing time at YALC.

Probably the biggest bookish achievement for me this year is that I've got an agent and will be going on submission to publishers next year. I'm so proud of my Gothic YA mystery and I hope I get the opportunity to see it on people's shelves!


It was hard to narrow down my books of the year, when there have been so many amazing ones. These are some of my favourites that I've read this year, in no particular order.




Hero at the Fall by Alwyn Hamilton was one of the first books I read this year and it was an incredible end to the trilogy. I loved these characters, and I'm excited to see more books set in this world.



A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood is another wonderful book and I was thrilled to see my name in the acknowledgements! It's a gorgeously written, dreamy book that captures the Gatsby era and what it feels like to fall in love.



Only Love Can Break Your Heart by Katherine Webber is a very different book about relationships. It's an honest, believable book with characters that feel so real. I loved the storyline about sisters and that this book felt like a realistic portrayal of teenage relationships.



The Chalk Man by CJ Tudor is a book that still gives me unsettled feelings when I think about it. It's a deliciously dark and creepy story that reminds me of the best Stephen King books.


Whiteout by Gabriel Dylan is a book I've only read recently and one of my favourite YA horrors that I've ever read. It's the perfect balance of genuine scares, creeping unease and horrifying creatures.



Slay by Kim Curran is pure fun in a book. Slay are a demon-slaying boy band and I struggled to choose my favourite band member by the end! It's perfect for fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I can't wait for the sequel!



Dry by Neal and Jarrod Shusterman is a dystopian story about what would happen if the water ran out in California. It's frighteningly believable and has my favourite cast of characters from any book this year.



White Rabbit Red Wolf by Tom Pollock is a tense, smart thriller that kept me guessing and made me think. I had no idea how this story would turn out and the plot kept me gripped to the very end.


On the Come Up by Angie Thomas is another brilliant, thought-provoking book, with an amazing cast of characters and an interesting dilemma about what a character would be prepared to do to achieve their dreams.



I hope everyone has an amazing break and that 2019 is a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment