Tuesday 12 December 2017

Books of the year - authors and bloggers edition

I've asked some authors, bloggers and friends to share their books of the year in this post. They've made some amazing choices (and added to my already unthinkable TBR pile!) In case you missed it, you can check out my books of the year blog post here.


Lauren James

Here's my favourite books of the year so far: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/4254869-lauren-james?shelf=top-ten-of-2017

I particularly liked The Pearl Thief and Sourdough, both very unusual and unique stories that I haven't been able to get out of my head since I finished them.




Alwyn Hamilton


Seven Days of You by Cecilia Vinesse - This 2017 Debut is about one girl's last seven days in her expat community in Tokyo. It really resonated with me as an expat but also brought me into a whole new unfamiliar world with the fabulous Japanese setting, through the eyes of someone who straddles the line between belonging there and not belonging. If you loved Stephanie Perkins's Anna and the French Kiss, you'll love this one too.


Virginie from Chouett Blog
It has be The Murderer's Ape by Jakob Wegelius. Not as well-known as most children's books, but a beautiful tale. It has been translated from Swedish and is published by @PushkinPress. I loved it for its simplicity and the principles and faith that the main character adheres to to achieve a goal. A really beautiful book. One of those stories we no longer write.


Zoe from No Safer Place


After the Fire by Will Hill - I mean, did anyone expect any different from me? After the Fire captured my heart in a way no other book has ever managed to do. Our protagonist, Moonbeam has just been removed from a cult and is now seeing a psychiatrist in a rehabilitation unit. We are taken on her journey through recovery, and discovering what really happened inside the cult and the awful ordeals she suffered. This book is raw, gritty and beautifully written. Not only is this the best book of 2017, but the best book I've ever read. Warning: emotions will run high when reading this book.


Aimee (@aimee_louise_l)


A story of empowerment and finding your true self, even when you seem most invisible, Wing Jones is my favourite book of 2017. Despite feeling 2nd best and often invisible, Wing finds a hidden talent after her brother ends up in an accident. Lacing up her trainers and with the help of magical realism, Wing discovers that running helps her feel free. If anything, Katherine Webber has written a novel that speaks to the heart and encourages female empowerment.


Holly (@HollyStorm)

1.The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James - gorgeous, read in 2 sittings and the twist gave me actual fear! 
2.Silver Silence by Nalini Singh- I've waited for Silver's story for so long! The Psy-changeling series is my go to, everyone should read these books! (Not YA!) 
3.The Last Namsara by Kristen Ciccarelli - I was rather down when I read this. It pulled me out of my mood and slump and it's a beautiful book of adventure,fierce women and villains. 4. Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody - LOVED this world, the writing, the characters, everything!

Steph (A little but a lot)

My book of the year is The Scarecrow Queen by Melinda Salisbury. It's been so incredible watching Twylla on her journey from a reserved, afraid young woman, to one who is brave, unafraid and willing to fight for herself. If you're looking for evil, narcisstic villains, than look no further than The Sin Eater's Daughter, with the most incredibly satisfying ending.

Thank you so much to everyone who contributed!

Tomorrow, the amazing author of Wing Jones Katherine Webber will share her books of the year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment