Thursday 29 September 2016

When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore - Review


 Publisher: Thomas Dunne (4th October 2016)

To everyone who knows them, best friends Miel and Sam are as strange as they are inseparable. Roses grow out of Miel's wrist, and rumors say that she spilled out of a water tower when she was five. Sam is known for the moons he paints and hangs in the trees and for how little anyone knows about his life before he and his mother moved to town. But as odd as everyone considers Miel and Sam, even they stay away from the Bonner girls, four beautiful sisters rumored to be witches. Now they want the roses that grow from Miel s skin, convinced that their scent can make anyone fall in love. And they're willing to use every secret Miel has fought to protect to make sure she gives them up. (Publishers' blurb)

I don't know how anyone could read that description and not buy this book immediately! My favourite book of last year was 'The Weight of Feathers' by Anna-Marie McLemore (which I reviewed
here) so I was really excited to get an advance copy of 'When the Moon Was Ours'. I'm so happy that I enjoyed this one just as much and can now safely say that Anna-Marie McLemore is one of my favourite YA authors.

I love Anna-Marie's writing more than any other author. Her lyrical style perfectly suits the gorgeous, magical things that she writes about. You could open any page and find a beautiful description that gives you goosebumps!

Like 'The Weight of Feathers', this book overlaps fantasy, myth and contemporary themes in a totally unique way. Both books feel timeless because of the strange, beautiful world that they are set in. I've never read anything else like them.

A great part of the book came after the narrative, where Anna-Marie explained the basis in her own experience. There was a strong sense of honesty and realism throughout this that I really appreciated.

Another strength was the characterisation. I adored Sam and Miel and I wasn't ready to let go of them at the end of the book. I also thought that the minor characters were really well developed and I understood their motivations.

This is a fantastic book and I can't stress enough how much I love it! It's out in less than a week and I hope everyone goes out and buys it.





 



1 comment:

  1. I never read the description for this but it SOUNDS AMAZING, oh my gosh now I have to read it. How can I not read something that sounds as amazing as that? And a 5/5 I need to get this book soon xD

    ReplyDelete