Tuesday 11 August 2020

Blood Moon review



During Frankie’s first sexual experience with lovely Benjamin, she gets her period. It’s only blood, they agree. No shame.

Then a graphic meme goes viral, turning their fun, intimate afternoon into something mortifying and damaging. And Frankie begins to wonder: is she disgusting?

As the online shaming takes on a horrifying life of its own, her universe implodes. But can laughter, bravery and the fiercest of friends help Frankie find her way out of the darkness?

I read Blood Moon a few weeks ago but haven't had chance to review yet between edits and a five month old baby! It's one of those books that I'm still thinking about and can vividly remember the things I loved about it.

Blood Moon is written in beautifully flowing, lyrical verse. The way it's presented on the page enhances the story and I found that the verse form made for a really emotive, sensory reading experience.

The subject matter of period shaming is one I've never seen tackled in a book before, and actually I rarely come across books that acknowledge characters even having periods. It's definitely a subject that needs more discussion and Blood Moon does this in an honest, compassionate way. There's also plenty of humour and relationship dynamics so the plot feels varied.

I found the characters in this book really interesting and fleshed out well. They have flaws, strengths and interests, and definitely come across like real teenagers. I loved how the book explores Frankie's passion for space.

Blood Moon is an absolute must read for everyone. It's thought provoking, smart, funny and so many other wonderful things in between. I loved it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment