Sunday 6 December 2020

Independent bookshop spotlight


I'm so excited that bookshops are open again! I'm planning to visit two of my favourites next week. Today, I have Susan Brownrigg, author of Gracie Fairshaw and the Mysterious Guest, talking about Broadhursts of Southport. Another one to add to my list! Thank you for the lovely post, Susan.

We are so fortunate in the north west to have a number of brilliant independent bookshops and choosing just one as my favourite was very hard! In the end I've chosen one of the region's oldest bookshops - Broadhursts of Southport.

Broadhursts is a real seaside treat, based in a mid-nineteenth century listed building on Market Street, the shop has a fabulous glass canopy to keep you dry while you admire the double-fronted window displays that will surely lure you inside.

Established in 1920, Broadhursts has a magical atmosphere! There are four floors to explore - the ground floor is the new bookshop with adult fiction and non-fiction, then upstairs you will find an extensive children's department (my favourite), eight second-hand book rooms and two rare book rooms. I especially love the narrow staircases and fireplaces that make you feel like you're exploring a private library - only all the books are for sale!

You can spend hours browsing - or if you're in a hurry they also offer 'click and collect' service, particularly useful in 2020!

The staff are lovely and extremely knowledgable, and will always try to help. I especially like that they will wrap any purchases in brown paper for you - and if you visit you are sure to have a few!

http://www.ckbroadhurst.co.uk/
@BroadhurstBooks

No comments:

Post a Comment