Wednesday 17 April 2019

Viper by Bex Hogan – review


Marianne has been training to be the Viper for her entire life – to serve and protect the King and the citizens of The Twelve Isles – but to become the Viper and protect the islands she loves she must find the strength to defeat her father.

It's been a while since I've read a fantasy book this unique and exciting. I lent my copy to a friend, and she stayed up until 2am reading. That's how good Viper is!

One of the best things about Viper is the characters. Marianne is a great protagonist, who I liked from the beginning but got even more attached to as she developed through the book. 

There was also a fantastic cast of secondary characters: Torin, Grace and Bronn were just three of my favourites. It was also refreshing that the antagonists of the book were genuinely threatening and it felt like Marianne was in real danger.

The world of this book is also vividly described and there was a great balance of scenes at land and sea. There's definitely scope for more of the setting to be revealed as the series progresses. 

Another great part of this book is the plot. It was gripping, well-paced and not at all predictable. It really got me in the feels too!

This is a brilliant start to a series and I'm excited to see where it goes next! It comes out tomorrow (18th April) and I'd definitely recommend picking it up.

Thank you to Orion Children's Books for the review copy!


No comments:

Post a Comment