Thursday 21 September 2017

After the Fire by Will Hill - review


Publisher: Usborne Publishing Ltd (1st June 2017)

'The things I've seen are burned into me, like scars that refuse to fade.'

Father John controls everything inside The Fence. And Father John likes rules. Especially about never talking to Outsiders. Because Father John knows the truth. He knows what is right, and what is wrong. He knows what is coming.

Moonbeam is starting to doubt, though. She's starting to see the lies behind Father John's words. She wants him to be found out.

What if the only way out of the darkness is to light a fire? (Publishers' blurb)


This is one of those books that actually lives up to the hype online and I'm grateful to the bloggers who recommended it! It won't be a book that I'll easily forget.

A creeping sense of unease builds throughout and I can't think of another book quite like it. The premise is totally unique and the delivery is impeccable, through an irresistible back and forth of before and after the fire. The controlling world that Moonbeam lives in is unbearably awful and believable at the same time.  

Moonbeam is a fascinating character. She seemed very real to me and her reaction to the events felt authentic. It was really interesting to follow her journey of realisation about what her world was really like. The first person narrative voice came across as really strong, sounding like a real person and also reflecting the strength of Moonbeam's character.

The plotting of this book was great too. It released information gradually, which led to an exciting experience of trying to piece the truth together. 

This has been such an amazing year for books. I keep thinking I've found my favourite of the year, and After the Fire is definitely up there. It's one of the most gripping and unpredictable books that I've read for ages! 







If you liked the sound of this, now try Blood and Salt by Kim Liggett.

No comments:

Post a Comment