Saturday 21 September 2019

Jemima Small Versus the Universe – review


Jemima Small is funny and smart. She knows a lot of things. Like the fact that she's made of 206 bones, over 600 muscles and trillions of cells. What she doesn't know is how that can be true and yet she can still sometimes feel like nothing... Or how being made to join the school's "special" healthy lifestyle group – aka Fat Club – could feel any less special. But Jemima also knows that the biggest stars in the universe are the brightest. And maybe it's her time to shine...

This is a memorable and beautifully written book about self-confidence and body positivity. It left me feeling uplifted and so happy that it's out in the world!

Jemima is a brilliant character! I loved how warm, funny and clever she is. At times, the bullying she suffers and how she feels about herself are heartbreaking but her journey in the book is about overcoming these things.

The supporting characters are great. I really liked Jemima's friends and family but my favourite characters were Gina and Luna. They both felt so real to me and I appreciated the part they play in Jemima's life.

This book also deals with bullying and body image in an honest, relateable and empathetic way. I would've found this book so helpful as a teen and it really captures the teenage experience, for better and worse.

This is one of those books that I haven't been able to stop thinking about and I'm definitely going to pick up Being Miss Nobody by Tamsin Winter too.

Thank you to Usborne for the review copy!



No comments:

Post a Comment